Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• £2k bangers for cash discount tops vauxhall's summer deal bonanza

[ Vauxhall UK ]

Luton - Vauxhall gave its wholehearted support today to the Government's Scrappage Programme, and confirmed that it would roll out the 2,000 discount across its full range of car and commercial vehicles ...

More...

What are peoples thoughts on this?

I can see a lot of potentially rare and preservable older Vauxhalls getting chopped in and scrapped in return for a brand new cars on the road, which is a shame.

Comment

Very true, I can also see some death trap cars in the crusher..
      sigpic

Comment

Indeed this will see rare cars go to the scrapheap in the sky, in my opinion. But what can you do, but a 800 quid car for 2k to stop the owner going for the governments scheme.
        Suppose you can not keep everyone happy all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
          Very true, I can also see some death trap cars in the crusher..
          I'm not to sure about this, how many people do you know driving death traps who can afford a brand new car even with all of the discounts offered

Comment

It definitely won't be death traps they're taking off the road. Part of the scheme requirements is that the car traded in is TAXED and TESTED, so road legal.

And of course, owners of death traps never worry about things like that. So, perfectly reasonable, LEGAL cars will go to the crushers, while these clowns in illegal, unsafe, untaxed and uninsured cars continue to be a menace on the roads.

I personally think it is all a scam between the government and the car makers to wake up an ailing economy and get the car manufacturers out of the mess they're in right now, which is more than partly due to the government severe taxation of road users, VAT, fuel tax

Comment

In all fairness there are plenty of good conditioned used cars already going to the scrap heap after being part exchanged........unless they are found a good home by dealership employees

Comment

If you driving a 1991 mk3 Astra thats worth about £150 and earning the basic wage and taking home about £200 a week are you going to be able to buy a brand new shiny Astra at what? £11000-12000? after the scrap allowence?

Because in my opinion I don't think you would, you would'nt be able to skimp on sevicing etc or just put a £10 of petrol in it and run it until the fuel light comes on and hope you don't run out................I've been there

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                  If you driving a 1991 mk3 Astra thats worth about £150 and earning the basic wage and taking home about £200 a week are you going to be able to buy a brand new shiny Astra at what? £11000-12000? after the scrap allowence?

Because in my opinion I don't think you would, you would'nt be able to skimp on sevicing etc or just put a £10 of petrol in it and run it until the fuel light comes on and hope you don't run out................I've been there

LOL remember those days well

Comment

Originally posted by Trel View Post
                    LOL remember those days well
                    So do I

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post

Andy I don't think there are many of us on here who hasn't experienced this at one time or another

Comment

Originally posted by Rob View Post
                        Andy I don't think there are many of us on here who hasn't experienced this at one time or another
                        You hit the nail on the head mate

Comment

I've lost count of the bangers I've run into the ground not being able to afford a replacement........ask Lynne about the gold rover 216 lol

Comment

Originally posted by Smudge View Post
                            unless they are found a good home by dealership employees
                            A workmate of mine is mates with a scrapyard owner. They've been dealing with the cars coming back from the dealerships. In order to qualify for the deal off the government the cars HAVE to be scrapped and never go back on the road.

He said the blokes gutted, some very nice, clean and well looked after cars come in with every stamp in the book and they have to be torn apart and crushed.

Comment

Bloomin sacrilege innit!

Comment

Working...
                              X