Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a difference............

...............a air-con re-gas makes

Thought the aircon in the Astra was working ok until earlier this week I drove a new Transit with aircon at work (Security van, windows sealed and winders removed) and used the aircon in that

So at 9am this morning was at Kwik-fit in Nottingham for a re-gas and de-bug. 2 hours later was driving home shivering with the aircon switched on. It took the air temp at the vents down from 13c before to 7.5c after and it now has a lovely "Fresh air" smell from the aircon instead of a smell like a old fridge.

Think it may well be the best £50 I'll spend this summer

I regassed the Vectra when I got it, makes a big difference. I got a can tap a few years back and give each car a top up back to pressure each year, so for a tenner a car its probably paid for itself

Only trouble is, this year has been a bad year for regassing. Lynn's Astra lost everything last year, a quick leak check has found that the condensor no longer has a bottom section on it

And the Vectra needs a sealer shot, as its lost pressure over a few weeks, no apparent leak. I might be having to have a warm summer, as the Turbo hasn't had aircon for years, the compressor clutch is away and I am galled to pay the £500+ bill for a new compressor and fitting

Comment

i got the vectra down to about 2c thats cold need to do them both really before sumer gets here will have to see a friend so i pay like nowt

Comment

Originally posted by timmee custard View Post
        i got the vectra down to about 2c
        How much of an overfill was that Timmee???

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          How much of an overfill was that Timmee???

only a little done it myself at work had to get it right if not it would cut the system out i think it was only 50 over give or take a little

Comment

Is that in cc/ml or PSI?

I've always been too scared to overfill the system, I know a lot of it is safety margins, but what worries me is these places that guarantee a given drop in temperature or money back. Must tempt them into deliberately pushing as much as refrigerant as they can instead of adhering to the rules

Comment

iirc it's in grams i think it's ment to be 950grams so i put in 1000

Comment

Sounds like a proper job then

Most of the Autodata stuff refers to pressure, but system fill done properly (not like my method, or a lot of aircon fixes) means draining and refilled by weight

Comment

I remember when I had the condenser and dry air receiver replaced on the Calibra and they tested it and the temp was 3 degrees.

On some days, I could get ice forming on the inside of the windscreen after a long drive.

Comment

Timmee you gotta get the windscreen to freeze up

Comment

Originally posted by Trel View Post
                      Timmee you gotta get the windscreen to freeze up
                      can't get it done for free now but will have to see what i can do

Comment

Originally posted by timmee custard View Post
                        iirc it's in grams i think it's ment to be 950grams so i put in 1000
                        950! I think it's only ment to have 750! my Oomega holds 950 grams!!!

Comment

had mine done the other day
                          the aircon boy i know has 100 condensers for mk4 astra,s in stock
                          tells you a story eh
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X