Opel Antwerp to Close?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opel Antwerp to Close?

Just heard today in work that GM today, anounced its plans to wind down operations at its Opel Antwerp Plant in Belgium.
    The final decision will be anounced in the next few days. If its confirmed, then Antwerp will cease prodution in a few months before final closure by late Summer this year.

Antwerp builds the Astra Sporthatch / GTC inc the VXR & OPC variants as well as the Astra H 5 door. Over the years its built the Ascona C (cavalier Mk2) Opel Manta B as well as Kadett variants.

Im sure the official GM press statment will be published over the next few days with the final decision
    sigpic Cheshire & North Wales Region. Home of A&M Conversions

That's a shame, but given the global recession, not unexpected. Does it mean that the 3 door will move production to Ellesmere Port?

Comment

tis a shame.gutted for them
      sigpic

Comment

Not too sure who will build the next 3 door as the current Sport hatch ends production mid 2010 anyway.
        TBH i think the next Astra J 3 door will be built in Gliwce in Poland as Ellesmere Port has got the Estate to build plus talk of us building the Ampara Darlek electric thing.
        It is a shame about Antwerp but GM says there is over capacity in Europe within Opel

Comment

Sad news Sean, but the upside is that you guys at Ellesmere at least have a future.

Comment

Be great news if the 3dr came to Ellesmere - iirc isn't Ellesmere and Poland the 2 most efficient plants within GME?

Comment

Originally posted by Zletsgo View Post
              Be great news if the 3dr came to Ellesmere - iirc isn't Ellesmere and Poland the 2 most efficient plants within GME?
              Both Ellesmere & Poland as well as a plant in Russia will be the only plants building the Astra J.
              No one knows for sure who will build the 3 door as yet, yes it would be nice if we got the 3 door as we used to build the 3 & 5 door hatch & Estate Astra G a few years ago.
              At the moment we are building the Astra H van for at least another year plus the 5 door & new Estate from June, will have to wait & see
              Last edited by sean_dhc1; 31 January 2010, 06:33 PM.

Comment

sean pintch me a sportive van!!!stick it in your pocket or something!
                it is a same that its shutting down i wouldt wish it apon any1

Comment

Wouldnt say no to one of those myself & get a remap on it lol

Comment

Working...
                  X