• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wee question

Just sat here watchin the best of Top Gear and a question has
    sprung to mind....
    Can motor bikes be done for speed ing by SPECS cameras as they've
    no front numberplate?

On my way back from the moto gp this year (on the bike) i absolutely steamed through a set of that average speed camera **** at roadworks as there was nearly no traffic, it went for miles and there were no workers in sight, they were all facing forward so i took my chance, and i dont mean 10mph over the 50 limit. Ive also passed a couple of forward facing speed cameras in scotland (north) on the bike and heard nothing of it.

So probably not really is the answer but you never know where theres a mobile trap or your being watched

Comment

I would say no like you say no plate

Comment

You'll get away with it a few times I believe, but if you repeatedly do it or do some nutty speed, then the Police will delve deeper and catch you out.

Same as if you use a laser jammer. Jam enough guns and allegedly the Police will pick up on it from a database they keep of failed speed checks that might have been jammed.

Comment

Law abiding motorist

Speeding is not for me, as i always drive at sensible speeds whenever i take the car out. As a rule of thumb i use my speed table which works fine for me and has done for many years -------

Speed limit 30mph ---- drive at 25mph.
          Speed limit 40mph ---- drive at 35mph.
          Speed limit 50mph ---- drive at 45mph
          Speed limit 60mph -----drive at 55mph.

Motorways ---- clear day -- light traffic
          drive at 65mph.

Motorways --- clear day --- heavy traffic
          drive at 55mph

Motorways --- bad weather --- all traffic
          drive at 45mph.

Motorway --- road works all.
          drive at 30mph.

This table has served me well over the years and never let me down allowing me to have a points free licence.

The only thing is that when going to shows i have to set off a few hours sooner than normal, but it's the price you have to pay to keep your licence.

Comment

Leo, my friend (hopefully) you are one of them peeps that
            "fair rips ma nittin"
            If you wanna do 55mph drive on A/B roads.
            I trully believe that it's slow drivers that have caused most of the artics to jack-knife in recent times when they've came upon someone who's
            brickin it at 20mph on the motorway.
            This is my opinion only and i'm sure i'll be shot down in flames shortly

Comment

I agree louise

Ive often though people should get cautioned or even charged for going way too slow on carriageways/motorways they are not designed to work like that!

driving cars i generally use leos table except im + 5mph on everything not 5mph less. (except 20 or 30 limits i go by the speedo) With the safe under reading of most speedos you are probably doing a true 60mph at 65-67 on the speedo. Surprisingly motorbikes are even worse for this ive noticed when ive had the sat nav on it.

Comment

Nowt worse when trying to reach a gas escape in time than being stuck behind some **** doing 20mph under the speedlimit. With a van on its weight limit and restricted to 62mph, overtaking is somwhere between an artform or the automotive equivalent of Russian roulette. I really think I should be allowed to ram them off the road.

Caution is one thing, when I was taught to drive, I was instructed to get to the speed limit (in whatever zone) as quick as possible. Going too slow is as bad as going too fast, as Louise has said, this causes frustration which in turn leads to accidents.

If someone is doing the posted speed then I have no qualms with that, whether I'm in a hurry or not.
                sigpic

Comment

im all in favour of taking in to account the weather and road conditions especially with the weather of late but the speed linit is what should ultimatly be the speed at which we travel and when on a motorway or any other road for that matter you get 10% allowance on the limit of said carriageway and can claim 10% for speedo in accurracy so on a motorway you can happyly trundle along at just over 80 without the slightest concern.

Comment

What always gets me thinking about the SPECS cameras is, Everyday at work I drive through some on a single carriageway road, which has the national speed limit for cars of 60mph enforced on it. But the national speed limit for a vehicle over 7.5 ton on a single carriageway is 40mph (I'm 17 ton this week), So would it know I was driving a 17 ton vehicle and issue a penalty is If went along the road flat out at 56mph? seeing the camera is there to enforce a 60mph limit?

Can these cameras tell the type of vehicle your driving and enforce the limit for that vehicle or are they just set for the speed limit of a car?

Always gets me thinking that does

Comment

id say as ost are, its set for a maximum speed

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                        What always gets me thinking about the SPECS cameras is, Everyday at work I drive through some on a single carriageway road, which has the national speed limit for cars of 60mph enforced on it. But the national speed limit for a vehicle over 7.5 ton on a single carriageway is 40mph (I'm 17 ton this week), So would it know I was driving a 17 ton vehicle and issue a penalty is If went along the road flat out at 56mph? seeing the camera is there to enforce a 60mph limit?

Can these cameras tell the type of vehicle your driving and enforce the limit for that vehicle or are they just set for the speed limit of a car?

Always gets me thinking that does
                        I doubt very much they can, this is where speed cameras are a joke. Some of their failings even apply to numberplate recognition. None of it can tell if theres a 16 year old driving it that shouldnt be, speed cameras cant catch an uninsured driver/vehicle or as you say tell if HGV,s are breaking the rules.

Theres no substitute for just having more officers on patrol. Nothing makes you play ball like a full livery police car on the road does it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bendy View Post

There's no substitute for just having more officers on patrol. Nothing makes you play ball like a full livery police car on the road does it?
                          I'll second that, when i had just past my test and started driving you knew it was time to behave if that blinkin great 2.9i Granada/24v dual-ram Senator/3.5 V8 Rover SD1 in jam sandwich colours pulled in behind you

Comment

Originally posted by Bendy View Post
                            Nothing makes you play ball like a full livery police car on the road does it?
                            so so so true lol

Comment

you can happily trundle along at just over 80 without the slightest concern
                              I'd be carefull with that one I know 3 peeps who've been done at 81mph.
                              Andy, I remember reading a few months ago about the development of
                              cameras that can differentiate between vehicle sizes, but how far this has come i've no idea

Comment

Working...
                              X