load rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• load rating

been looking at geting new tyres and there are two load ratings that are available but which is most suited to the vec
    87 or 91 is the option but which is the recomended

Thats 545 kilo or 615 kilo rating so the 91 can take more load, will have stronger sidewalls etc, if you were towing or carrying alot of weight regularly i would go higher myself but i think most vehicle manufacturers just state a minimum load rating of what should be fitted.

Comment

thanks for the reply, i understood the later was the higher rating but am wondering but what is the recomended for the gsi

Comment

If you check the axle weights for the car in the handbook, then cross check it against the load rating on the tyres, you can find which ones you can use at a minimum. From my experience, the higher the rating above the "ideal" rating, the harder the ride, as the tyres don't flex as easily to absorb the imperfections in the road surface.

Comment

As said, if you go for the higher number it makes for a more uncomfortable ride, especially over the smaller bumps!

Comment

99 spec GSI had 215/45 17 Yokohama AVS load rating of 87 from the factory, other recommended tyre at the time was Bridgestone SO1 at 87 load rating.

I remember having to pay £160 a tyre for AVSs back in 2000!!
            sigpic

Comment

thanks for all the info guys.
              the tyres ill go for will be the 87 as thats what was supplied with the car when new.
              it only stands to reason that there is a harder ride with the higher rateing and with the suspension on mine a slightly softer ride would be appreciated.
              im looking at geting goodyear eagle f1 gsd3 tyres in 215/45/17
              found them on internet at £71 each plus delivery
              any thoughts/suggetions

Comment

i really liked the goodyear f1's had em on me astra gsi turbo, really good all round tyre.

Comment

Working...
                X