Early Christmas present....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early Christmas present....

Well sort of, i've bought it for the Nova.

Zoes little Nova GSi sits outside covered with a car cover and under a Car Port, which is normally O.K. saying the cover we use was bought for my Astra, so it's a little large.

The cover isn't waterproof, just water resistant. So if the wind blows in certain directions when it rains, it gets wet, and now it's started to soak through and wet the car (trapped under the cover). Not a good thing for a Nova.

Added to that, the snow earlier in the week basically stuck the cover to the roof, tail gate and bonnet.

Time for a change. I had a look through Classic Cars Magazine, but only found one company advertising Car Covers.

After a Google search i found a few companies selling Monsoon waterproof fitted car covers. HERE

Not cheap, but IMO worth it to keep the Nova dry and warm.

It will look like this

(But clearly not Mini shaped )

I'll get pictures when it arrives.
    My Lotus Carlton Car of the Month Aug 2009 - Nova GSi Dec 2010 - Meriva Aug 2013 - Astra 1.8 TwinTop Design Aug 2015
    Vauxhall Drivers Club - Facebook page

Just a word of warning Keif, my mate had one of these on his 300ZX when it was kept outside and it severly marked the paint (although it was soft inside).
    The winds and constant shifting of the cover caused marring over 90% of the body work

after 8hrs machining

Don't want to put you off, but this is not an isolated incident. I've heard of many "outside" and "weatherproof" covers doing this....sorry.

What upset me the most was the fact I had already heavily polished the car (years of neglect) as it was up for sale at the time, after the damage inflicted by the cover I did not have a lot of paint thickness to play with
    Last edited by Scott; 18 December 2009, 10:03 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

How the **** do you get excited about a car cover?!

Comment

Surely that happened over a long period of time, Scott.

Plus all the reviews i've read are positive, on fit, quality and protection for the car.

Smudge, why not, it's something to post on here.
        My Lotus Carlton Car of the Month Aug 2009 - Nova GSi Dec 2010 - Meriva Aug 2013 - Astra 1.8 TwinTop Design Aug 2015

Comment

I've been using covers for years and never had a problem with scratching of the paint surface. I do however use a strong bungee which loops round each wheel to hold the cover tight, I think you need to do the same Keif as mine don't move much even in really strong winds. My GTE lives under a cover outside and I've just done the same with Amanda's Astra mk2 SRi as it's not getting used at the moment due to Calibra SE9 being the everyday car. Just wish I had a lockup the size of Scott's to keep them all in, one day maybe.
          Find out more about the Derbyshire region by clicking here. My fleet diaries; Astra E, Astra F, Vectra B & Vectra C

Comment

Originally posted by Keif View Post
            Surely that happened over a long period of time, Scott.

6 weeks....not a long period. this was actually bungeed and taped around all the wheels. The abrasions on the paint were minute back and forth movements, and it was not just where the seams were stitched and taped. The car was also spotless before the cover went on.

Maybe the winds down south aren't as bad as up here
            sigpic

Comment

Here's a picture of my "problem".

It's snowing, the snow has landed over the Nova and soaked through the old cover.

Comment

see through, kinky
                sigpic

Comment

A think the black shows the damage more as a lighter car like white may not show it as bad until the sun hits it a was going to buy a cover for the vectra but thought for the price it would be a good chunk towards a garage.

Comment

Well, i'm impressed with the delivery.

Ordered Friday, arrived Monday.

Had a look at the guidelines and fitting instructions (it recommends removing it ever week to check for any dirt that'll cause damage), then went out to fit it.

First snag, the old cover had frozen on to the rear spoiler, rear window tailgate and rear bumper.

So out came Zoes hairdryer and i got on with melting the ice.

A few pics of the "fit" of a medium cover on a small car.

Not much overhang on the front then.

Once i'd managed to remove the cover i got on with drying it with a Microfibre drying towel.

Then on with fitting it.

Nice and easy, it's held in place with two straps under the car. One at the rear of the front wheels, and one at the front of the rear wheels.
                    Then tucked it's ears in the mirror pockets.

I think they have a standard pocket for the covers as the mirrors fit in easily.

Very happy with the fit, and it's far better than the old cover.

Comment

nice result
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Smudge View Post
                        How the **** do you get excited about a car cover?!

It's a fetish

Comment

Looks like it will do a good job. With regards to the comments about scratching, I find that the car bra does the same thing, so you need to build up a good layer of wax on the paint so that any marring is limited to the wax layers. Using a base hard wax like Collinite seems to work OK to isolate the paint from the effects of a cover shifting over the paint.

I think it also depends on the quality of the cover and the liner, I store the Astra with a protective cover to keep the dust off in the garage, which isn't very wind tight and it was fine

Comment

Working...
                          X