What looks best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What looks best?

Im considering getting the wheels refurbed on my Calibra DTM. The car has 16" white BBS wheels, these were standard. Question is, do I keep them white(a real pain to clean and keep the car looking permanantly mucky) or another colour? If another colour, which colour?

For originality and keeping it looking like the limited edition that it is.....stay white!
    sigpic

Comment

ad say white!

Comment

got to be white, maybe with a litle twist with a little flake

Comment

Originally posted by je53mys View Post
          got to be white, maybe with a litle twist with a little flake
          I'd stay with a solid white, flakes need lacquer to apply when you're not using a translucent paint. I had a set of wheels done on my old car, base silver with extra mica and a lacquer with a gold pearl and a splash of mica. Lacquer coats don't like hot brake dust, as they are softer. The dust eat into the lacquer coat too easily one my wheels and it peeled off too readily. They looked good for about two months and then the paint fell apart.

If it was me wanting longevity, it would be a powder coat white (hard as bullets) and then load them up with Collinite 451 before fitting. Then wash them off and keep the wax built up every week.

Comment

Keep them White, makes the DTM Calibra stand out from the crowd
            sigpic Cheshire & North Wales Region. Home of A&M Conversions

Comment

I'm not one for staying standard as many on here will realise but I think in this case your car could be considered a classic and would best be kept the way it was made..........in looks anyway

Comment

Thanks guys, think they will be staying white then! Obviously after 14 years the alloys have started to corrode and in places the paint has lifted. Is there anyway I can refurb them meself or is this best left for a wheel refurbishing firm? how much should I be paying if Im going to get someone else to do it?

Comment

You can do them yourself, but the RXs will be a swine to strip and refurb manually. A 15" alloy refurb and powdercoat up this neck of the woods is about £30 per rim, and would probably be a more durable and even coat than what could be achieved DIY.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by A_Venables View Post
                    Obviously after 14 years the alloys have started to corrode and in places the paint has lifted. Is there anyway I can refurb them meself or is this best left for a wheel refurbishing firm?
                    i will also be looking into this early part of next year so will be getting quotes etc, for the same alloys etc

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      I'd stay with a solid white, flakes need lacquer to apply when you're not using a translucent paint. I had a set of wheels done on my old car, base silver with extra mica and a lacquer with a gold pearl and a splash of mica. Lacquer coats don't like hot brake dust, as they are softer. The dust eat into the lacquer coat too easily one my wheels and it peeled off too readily. They looked good for about two months and then the paint fell apart.

If it was me wanting longevity, it would be a powder coat white (hard as bullets) and then load them up with Collinite 451 before fitting. Then wash them off and keep the wax built up every week.
                      Thanks Steve, I did not think about that, would look propper nice though - 4 5 munites

Comment

keep them white look the best on the that car mate

Comment

Speak to a reputable bodyshop about white paints. I spoke to an ex sprayer in work who reckons you can add extra mica and pigment solids to a white base to make it almost pearlescent in a single coat, some Audis have a really special white finish and that is where he learned the mix.

Comment

Working...
                          X