Solar panel battery chargers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar panel battery chargers?

Do they work? are they any good? My Calibra spend alot of time on the drive with little use and occasionally I will end up with a flat battery, so Im planning to use one of these to keep it topped up. A good idea or a bad one?

Dont know about the little ones that plug in to the cigar lighter, I have a big one on my caravan 100 watt and it s fantastic, I think on ebay about £20,00 worth a try I recon, I have thought about one for my motorbike

Comment

Don't bother with the smaller panels if your car has an alarm system, they don't top up enough in winter to cope with the drain from it.

I use one of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99760

It works fine on the dash of a car and it comes with a proper charge regulator, so you don't have to disconnect it at night, as without a charge regulator between the panel and the battery, the shunt resistor built into a cheap panel will discharge the car battery when there is insufficient sunlight to provide a charge.

The higher the wattage, the better, but you need one with a charge regulator, the very cheap chinese ones don't have this and you need to unplug them at night

You can't charge a Vauxhall from the cigarette lighter socket either, as it is disconnected when the ignition is turned off.
      Last edited by Steve; 3 November 2009, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Ive bought one, I'll have to see if it works, its a reasonable one so hopefully It'll do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Don't bother with the smaller panels if your car has an alarm system, they don't top up enough in winter to cope with the drain from it.

I use one of these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=99760

It works fine on the dash of a car and it comes with a proper charge regulator, so you don't have to disconnect it at night, as without a charge regulator between the panel and the battery, the shunt resistor built into a cheap panel will discharge the car battery when there is insufficient sunlight to provide a charge.

The higher the wattage, the better, but you need one with a charge regulator, the very cheap chinese ones don't have this and you need to unplug them at night

You can't charge a Vauxhall from the cigarette lighter socket either, as it is disconnected when the ignition is turned off.
          The astra H dont go off they are permamnt live

Comment

Working...
          X