Now in the market for breakdown cover.
    The problem I keep having is that
    I don't have "a servicable spare wheel"
    As this is not a "mechanical or electrical"
    failure nor (hopefully) an accident
    they won't give me cover
    This is the MAIN reason I want it!

Help...anyone

wot came with the tigra, i tin of tyre foam?
    who u tried to get cover with?

Comment

The AA cover the factory Vauxhall warranty...so I'd assume they would have no issue with this
      sigpic

Comment

I can highly recommend Green Flag. I have been with them for 16 years and have needed to call them out loads of times. I don't rate AA or RAC, because if you know you a big problem that you know cannot be fixed, they don't believe you on the phone and always send out a Transit. You've now waited up to an hour for the Transit, only to wait up another hour for a flatbed. Green Flag always send out a vehicle first that can take you home. Green Flag is cheaper as well.

I was with a mate towing a very low show car on a single axle trailer and the hub sheared while on the M40. When we phoned the RAC and told them the problem. They sent a Transit and the bloke wondered why he was called out? We asked him if he any welding gear on board and we could have fixed it, but sadly no. So we waited a second hour for a flat bed and that driver refused to 'drag' the car and trailer on his flat bed. SO we waited a third hour for a second flat bed. In the end we had two flat beds to take us to our destination. One for the car and one for the trailer. We were impressed with what they done for us, but it could have been organised better and we could have done without being on the hard shoulder for over 3 hours.

I have just changed insurance companies and I had Green Flag with them. I have RAC with my bank account (Barclays), but I'm still thinking of taking out Green Flag cover as well, as I'm that impressed with them over the RAC. The only thing the RAC does have over Green Flag is it covers you, where Green Flag only covers the car.

How do they know you don't have a spare? What about the gunk in a tin, if space is an issue? If they don't ask, don't say anything. Try buying online, if you’re worried someone might ask any awkward questions.

I once was about +200 miles away from home and had a puncher and I didn't fancy driving 40mph home on a space saver (I would have fallen asleep with boredom). So I unplugged the fuel pump, phoned up Green Flag and said my car won't start. They turned up, diagnosed that my fuel pump had packed up (they didn't look at it) and put me on a flat bed home. Once home I plugged the fuel pump back in. I was thinking of putting a more convenient/hidden switch in the wiring loom, in case I needed to use this method again, but I never got round to it. This could have also served as an immobiliser as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          The AA cover the factory Vauxhall warranty...so I'd assume they would have no issue with this
          Is that free with a new car? If so, for how long? First year or does it cover the three year warrenty?

Comment

How do they know you don't have a spare? What about the gunk in a tin, if space is an issue? If they don't ask, don't say anything. Try buying online, if you’re worried someone might ask any awkward questions
            I think when the arrive to me stranded with a blow out they'll
            realise I don't have a spare. A tin of "gunk" aint no use when
            your tyre's spread 500 yards up the motorway!

This is why I can't get cover!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Shouldn't make any difference, there is no legal requirement for a spare to be carried. If the breakdown service cannot repair, then they are liable to take you home or to a place of repair....depending on the cover purchased. Send Simon from our region a PM...his job is a breakdown co-ordinator (Kerr and Smith agency for AA/Greenflag etc) so I dare say he would be able to give you a more informed view.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                In my experience the AA aren't worth a W***!.. The times I've called them out they have either just not found/rectified the problem or they have failed and done damage!

Comment

Yes, I agree that most of them are useless, they operate our fleet breakdown assistance. It is entertaining to watch them faff about trying to find the faults....when asking the driver would make their job a lot easier!!

I have joint AA cover for the mrs and me, the Disco has Landrover assist for 3years (and NO, its never broken...yet). The reason I have it is for the long haul down south for the shows. Although I like to keep the cars in good mechanical condition, you never can tell when something will go awry.....and thats when the flat bed to get you home is priceless!
                  sigpic

Comment

there is no legal requirement for a spare to be carried
                    I have sat at this PC all weekend reading the "small print" and ALL
                    except AA + GreenFlag say you MUST CARRY A SERVICABLE SPARE
                    WHEEL" Their prices are shocking though
                    Got a right cheeky wee get when I phoned AA, more or less told me I was wasting his time as I wouldn't sign there n then. [email protected]!!!!

Comment

What the ******

Never come across this problem Louise, it's very unusual they won't give you cover --- i've got cover thro my insurance and was never asked if i had a "serviceable spare wheel" ---- have you tried your insurance, Adrian Flux i believe, they must do breakdown cover as most insurance companies try and sell it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Leo View Post
                        Never come across this problem Louise, it's very unusual they won't give you cover --- i've got cover thro my insurance and was never asked if i had a "serviceable spare wheel" ---- have you tried your insurance, Adrian Flux i believe, they must do breakdown cover as most insurance companies try and sell it to you.
                        It's not that they WON'T give me cover, they're all more than happy
                        to take ma money. I'm just not covered if I have a puncture or
                        blowout

Comment

Also discovered in the small print a "wee gem" from the AA.
                          They don't cover cars over 10yrs old
                          Both Rabs motors are now over 10 so he could be payin for nowt

A wee investigation required here I think

Comment

Taken from the AA's "terms & Conditions
                            In addition to the general vehicle specifications set out above, the following terms apply to Vehicle Membership (Please note: these are not applicable to Personal Membership):
                            a) AA breakdown assistance is only available under Vehicle Membership for a vehicle which has been registered with the AA at the time assistance is requested; and
                            b) Where only Roadside Assistance is held, the vehicle must be no more than 10 (ten) years old at the date of registration with the AA; and
                            c) It is possible to change the vehicle registered under Vehicle Membership during the Membership Year. Please note however that service will not be available for the new vehicle until 24 hours after the AA receives notification of the vehicle change. In addition the AA reserves the right not to re-register any vehicle which has been previously registered during the same Membership Year. The AA will be entitled to require an additional premium if more than 3 (three) vehicle changes are requested in a Membership Year.
                            Best bet's to take out "personal" membership then

Comment

Yep, personal membership is the way to go....the 10yr rule is due to parts availability for the vehicles that are only covered with the basic roadside breakdown cover....no age limit if you have "relay".
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X