Winscreen chip advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winscreen chip advice needed.

Just over 12 months ago i had a small chip and i do mean small chip repaired on my insurance.
    Everything was ok until a couple of months ago when i noticed that the resin they used to do the repair had dropped out for some unknown reason exposing the chipped ares again.
    No problem i thought, so i rang my insurance glass line which is a national company and explaned that the repair that they had done over twelve months ago had failed and pointed out that their warranty states that there is a five year warranty on screen repairs only if it has not been impacted again in the same place -- that sounds fair enough to me.
    The "advisor" at the other end of the phone advised me that a screen chip can only be repaired ONCE and so i would have to have a new screen fitted, (no wonder the insurance is going up) to which i pointed out that the chip was only small and the screen was not cracked and i did not want a new screen thank you. " Well sir, we have been told in training that we have to relace the screen". Wait a minute sez i, i only want you to repair it not relace it. " Will get your local branch to give you a ring to discuss the issue with you sir, is this still your current phone number and address" -- Yes, that's correct, can you get them to ring me this afternoon --- " Sorry sir, they have gone home now but i will email them at once and they will contact you in the morning" ---- Ok, that's fine, but tell them before 11am.

All this happened this Wednesday and i am still waiting for some numpty to ring me even if it's only to say sod off. ------ If nowt happens in the next couple of days teir customer services will get some earache.

Bet my insurance company would like to now how their contracted glass agents treat their customers ---- can't really name the company concerned but i bet a few names spring to mind.

Does it sound like Autograss?

Comment

most centres will do a "cash in hand" repair job for about £15.....may be worthwhile to have a chat with a technician rather than some numpty in a call centre.
      sigpic

Comment

I would call in at one of the centres and ask for a cash in hand job. Autoglass and RAC Windscreens will want to put a new screen in, they did it with my car 4 times because they kept screwing up in the installation, I had to fight with them over the excess each time

Comment

I would just treat it as a new chip, with a new claim
          and see what happens

Comment

We had a chip on the vectra and after a failed attempt to make a repair we were told to contact the company if it worsened within 6 months and they would replace the screen without cost to ourselves.........this was autoglass.

we never followed up as we sold the car

Comment

Well what do you know, some good guess work going on ---- yeah it's autoglass i'm on about --- i just wanted to see if other peeps have had the same experience as me.
              Will contact the customer services in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Leo View Post
                Well what do you know, some good guess work going on ---- yeah it's autoglass i'm on about --- i just wanted to see if other peeps have had the same experience as me.
                Will contact the customer services in the morning.
                What's the news on the windscreen then Leo?

Comment

Result

Rang customer services and told them their service was cr*p as i had been waiting for almost a week for the depot to give me a ring.
                  Ooops, they had never emailed the depot, that's why no one contacted me, but they would do i straight away and appologised for messing me about.
                  To cut a long story short i nipped the car over to Blackburn and had the screen chip repaired again -- no it didn't need a new screen --- this was F.O.C. as there was a five year warranty on the first repair, so they will now have to refund the cost of the first repair to my insurance company.

Wonder how many sreens are replaced when they don't really need to be, some companies must be making a fortune.

Comment

Working...
                  X