Vectra GSI 3.2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vectra GSI 3.2

Are these any good? They look very cheap and good value for money, Im still looking for something to replace my Calibra DTM with, looked at Alfa Romeos as the misses has one, but they dont feel sturdy enough to take a bit of a hammering when you want to give it some! So, Im looking at Vauxhalls again. Ive had a race with one of these a while back (Vec GSI 3.2 V6) against my Cally and there was nothing in it untill well after the speed limit (which he obviously started to pull away). So, it looks quick enough. But whats the ride like? I want something alittle softer on the suspension than my Calibra (which is lowered 25-30mm standard) but still holds the road and can still have a bit of fun when the roads get twisty? Whats the specs like? And whats the differences between the GSI and Elite?

The Vectra C GSi is one of Vauxhalls best kept secrets
    Total Vauxhall Magazine is doing a feature on this in the next issue.

Lots of spec as standard such as dual climate control, Xenon headlamps with headlamp washers, half Leather sports seats (although Full Leather as an option with full electric seats if you can find one), CD mulitchanger, electric rear windows, Top tinted screen with auto wipers & diming rear view mirror plus cruise control & trip computer.
    Other options was Sat Nav, although its the older system

Performance wise you have 211 ps as standard with booked 0-60 in 7 sec & top speed of 154 mph & the good thing is it doesnt stand out from the Vectra SRi as its the same bodykit apart from the alloys.

The Elite has full Leather as standard but not sport seats & more of a softer ride compared to the GSi. You dont get the Dark headlamps, sports front bumper or tailgate spoiler plus you get Vauxhalls False wood trim on the Elite which looks a bit naff IMO. The GSi has Platunum trim inserts.

Allmost were built at Ellesmere Port. There one knocking about near me in Ultra Blue with no badges so it just looks like a Vectra hatch
    Last edited by sean_dhc1; 30 September 2009, 06:53 PM.
    sigpic Cheshire & North Wales Region. Home of A&M Conversions

Comment

I had one of the gsi's, really nice machine nice n comfy to drive and its got the power there wen u need it, and as sean says it didnt stand out in the crowds

Comment

From my understanding the Vectra C GSI was more of a motorway cruiser, where the Vectra C SRi preferred A and B roads. Also, did the SRi have sport seats and the GSI didn't? Not sure on this, Sean?

It might be worth checking the road tax as well. I think the GSI might be £400 a year where the SRi is £215. On some SRi's there was the 2lt turbo giving 175bhp, but with a re-map and other choice components will bring it to the GSI pace with lower tax. That is my plan anyway. I've just put a deposit down on an SRi 2lt turbo.

Comment

All the GSi Vectra C had sports seats as standard with Leather side bolsters & leather trim on the door pads.
          Both the SRi & The GSi had the uprated sports suspension.
          As Lester says the 2.0 Turbo is a good alternative to the GSI. I had two Signums with the same engine & was very impressed with the performance & fuel figures for a Turbo.

If you can find one Vauxhall did the special Edition Vectra SRi 100 Edition which were all built in 2003 to celerbrate 100 years of Vauxhall.
          This has the 2.0 Turbo, special seat trim in Blue cloth & half Leather, Silver seat belts & mulispoke alloys (unique to the car) & irmscher rear spoiler. All have special 'Turbo' clocks & floor mats & came in Silver Lightning paint.

Or the Vectra SRi BTCC edition from 2007 which has the VXR bodykit, 19inch snowflakes, rear defuser & the racing eyebrows. Paul Marshal had one of these.
          Its a buyers market at the moment so take your time looking & the right car will turn up

Comment

Sorry I stand corrected regarding the seats and suspension.

Comment

Aye, both had ESP7 which made lift off oversteer "interesting". Think of a toned down EVO active yaw control and you get the same weird sensation as it tries to quell rolls and slides. Once you got used to it, it was a fine point to point tool, but lacked the flow of a Vec B (or cali for that matter). The price you pay for weight and added refinement. D.amn fine car for the money though.
              I had a chat with Dougie from TV at Billing and we both reckoned the C gsi was very underated and mostly overlooked these days.....probably explains the upcoming feature on it.
              sigpic

Comment

I have seen these going for £3k and for that I see it as good value, Im not expecting it to be as entertaining as the Calibra, But Im intent on getting a 6 cylinder car with alot of toys. Does this have a 6 speed gearbox? When does the cam chain need replacing? and are there any known faults?

Comment

The GSi only has a five speed Box.
                  The 3.2 V6 was the last of the Ellesmere Port built V6 engines & is Belt driven so IMO it would need changing at the normal service intervals. (as soon as i get a new car i always have the belt, pullys & water pump changed anway as a mater of precaution.

As for known faults i cant really comment but im sure someone who owns a V6 will know a bit more than me (i only built them in the factory when new lol)

Comment

Now then.....running problems with a V6. I'm not sure where to start!

I would say Maf sensor.......and ...err..um.........thats it

In all honesty I feel if you dont meddle/tune too much then the V6 is pretty much bullet proof. A strong engine that is only let down by the odd sensor problem which is easily diagnosed and usually sorted at a reasonable price

Comment

Smudge does good rates at Billing
                      sigpic

Comment

one of our regional boys bought a vec c gsi recently and it was fairly low milage.

since having it he has had to replace the steering rack and broken springs!! could have just been bad luck though.apart from the handbrake recalls on vec c's i cant think of anything they always come into work for.rarely see a gsi in the workshop.

now the 1.9 cdti's, thats a different story

Comment

The only other one im interested in is a 3.0 V6 CDTI. I might consider on if I could put a tuning box on, would this be as quick? Would it be as entertaining to drive and what spec were they available in? Would you still get a V6 sound from it as its a diesel?

Comment

Originally posted by A_Venables View Post
                            The only other one im interested in is a 3.0 V6 CDTI. I might consider on if I could put a tuning box on, would this be as quick? Would it be as entertaining to drive and what spec were they available in? Would you still get a V6 sound from it as its a diesel?
                            From what iv'e seen it appears that tuning boxes cause excessive smoke when you wellie it.

Comment

i understand they are ajustable, well the DTUK one is
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X