Phone upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone upgrade?

As the title suggests, its that time of year when a new handset is due.

At the moment I've got a Sony C905, on orange. My tariff allows me any handset free, any ideas? I'm not a great touch screen fan (big fingers) and although the 905 is a slide phone, I prefer the one piece style (candy bar design I believe they call it)

Was in the Orange shop and they were trying to foist the HTC Hero onto me (must be a commission thing), the new sony w995 is just a revamped c905 (too similar to what I have).

So any recommendations? or ones to avoid?

Ta
    sigpic

I'm in turmoil about my new phone that i'm due in a few weeks. I can't find anything that meets the capabilities of my current Nokia N95. Its the loudest ringing phone that i've ever had and ever heard with its stereo speakers.

All the tariffs seemed to have changed with minimum contracts on Orange being 24 months. (18 months still available but at £4.90 per months extra)

O2 is rather pricey, Vodafone charges you for your voicemail and 3 have been a bit of a let down for me on this last contract.

I just don't know what to do??

Comment

John go with the n97 on vodafone you'l love it!!!:d

Comment

i was looking at getting the n97 but i can't make up my mind which one to hassle vodafone to give me for free

Comment

Not sure about the N97?? I'm not getting on well with the whole touchy slidey thing. Its not got a loud enough ring tone either. Being in a engineering workshop its a little LOUD!!

Comment

I can keep my 12month contract with Orange....not the best for freebie texts but I can get a new handset more often.
            sigpic

Comment

I've got a c902 just now. It's a great phone. I don't do touchy or slidey either. My contract is nearly up too and I can't decide either!!

I have an iPod touch and I would be totally lost without it so I'm wondering whether to just get an iPhone, not sure how I'd get on texting tho!!!!

Comment

Ive got a black sony w880i which must be kicking on 3 years old and everybody keeps telling me to get a new phone but im happy with it because its so small and slim and quite tough! If i was to get a new phone i would get another one, all i do is phone or text people. maybe should stock pile a few of them before they disapear!

Im not the guy to ask i dont have a clue about phones

Comment

I want an iPhone in my next upgrade, so I can use it to link into the engine management on my car and monitor stuff using the Rev software. Rev is wireless and kicks the likes of the Scangauge into the weeds for performance cars

But you won't need any of that with a diseasal Range Rover Scott

Comment

I use a w810 for work (the Nokias they supply break too easily) the 810 is pretty resilient.

I had a notion for the Sonim XP3/Quest tough phone (they do a LandRover version called the SP1). Looks about as hard as you can get for a phone, but doing some research they seem to have a few technical glitchs at the moment.

All the current touchscreen stuff doesn't look as though it would survive too well in a "trade" environment.
                    sigpic

Comment

The supercharged V8 is a bit thirsty.....about 3mpg at full pelt
                      sigpic

Comment

We use an awful lot of touchscreen kit in industry now, because switches and buttons are prone to mechanical wear and dirt ingress, touch screens are wipe clean.

I think if you get a Griffin hard case for a phone and a screen protector, barring a hard drop directly onto the screen, a touch screen will be fine. My iPod Touch is loaded with software for the cars, lives in a my pocket most days and has survived lots of drops on the floor in the hard case.

Comment

I've got an Otterbox case for my ipod classic, makes it fully water and shock resistant. The jogwheel seems to operate ok through the plastic on that, although it almost doubles the thickness and adds a few mm on the width. Need to change provider to get an iphone though.....
                          sigpic

Comment

Thts it when your a tradesman you tend to deliver more punishment to phones than the average person! I know a few guys who have cracked the screens on i phones on site. I dont like them anyway they are enormous!!! But i like a small phone for the motorcycling you dont notice it in your pocket. Only problems i get is the microphone and earpiece clog up with dust, a blast of the compressor across it soon sorts that!

Comment

Broke a few phones, mostly by bashing them off pipework/meters etc, the old skool Nokias where you could just buy new outer shells were ideal.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X