Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonnet Bra Debate

www.autobra.co.uk/

The Bonnet Bra seems to be the marmite of the modification world. You either love them or hate them. There every popular in the Euro Stying, but that seems to over shadow the reason they where invented.

I bought one to se what the fuss was all about, and it does do a good job, just a shame they look so ugly.

So what does everyone think?

Often thought about these for to and fro from shows, my concern is would they rub the paint and should you get a litte bit of grit underneath
    sigpic

Comment

I think it all depends on the model tbh overall I do like them,
      but it definitely needs to be a full bra to include the bumper & front wings otherwise it looks odd also with no protection of the front bumper (which if you have recently had your bumper painted then you know how expensive it is) this surely defeats the object of having a bra fitted plus it looks a little odd just having a bonnet bra IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Thumper View Post
        Often thought about these for to and fro from shows, my concern is would they rub the paint and should you get a litte bit of grit underneath
        Yes I was worried about this too. But when I fitted mine it made sence, there fitted on quite tight, and the two things at the top are spoilers to stop it flapping in the wind.

The only problem I see with it, is taking it on and off all the time, to avoid paint fade.

Comment

I think they look awfull! Good idea and cheaper than a respray but a big NO from me

Comment

The other problem i would think is rain, rain would get in nder the cover and wouldnt be able to dry, i cant see that being ant good.
            sigpic

Comment

Yeah I've seen that as a problem, me personally, I only put it on for long journeys or country driving.

Comment

I bought Steve one for valentines day (who says romance is dead!!!)
                Never had any probs, gonna get one for mine soon. Think they look best on dark colours, Steve's is black and mine is dark blue.

Doesn't appear to have any grit issues but then the car is always kept clean, sure Steve will be along in a bit to advise

Comment

Been looking, but not very hard, for a full bra for my Vec B but no one seems to do one or can confirm that it will cover the early series 1 Irmscher bumper. They don't look pretty on any car but they aren't designed to look good, they are designed to stop your paint work chipping and keep your front end clean.
                  Find out more about the Derbyshire region by clicking here. My fleet diaries; Astra E, Astra F, Vectra B & Vectra C

Comment

Not into them at all, they seen to work well on Euro styled cars, but not our cup of tea, sorry

Comment

Originally posted by zletcorsab View Post
                      Not into them at all, they seen to work well on Euro styled cars, but not our cup of tea, sorry

agrea i think there G-A-Y as why would you put clothes on a car

Still theres a few on here who like there poly bags on bumpers lol yes you know who you are

Comment

Originally posted by Deeky View Post
                        agrea i think there G-A-Y as why would you put clothes on a car

Still theres a few on here who like there poly bags on bumpers lol yes you know who you are
                        PMSL, too true, seen a few cars with cling film & bags over the years
                        sigpic Cheshire & North Wales Region. Home of A&M Conversions

Comment

they dont look that good but suppose they do the job as said b4 cheaper than a paint job

Comment

Originally posted by Skevington View Post
                            The only problem I see with it, is taking it on and off all the time, to avoid paint fade.
                            Yes I was going to mention that, but TBH you would only really fit them going to & from shows or on your show car in the winter if taking it for a mot. Think they are ok, long as the paint is clean before fitting it as to avoid any scratching with grit.
                            I keep meaning to look for a full car cover for my MK2 astra gte

Comment

Originally posted by GTE-steve View Post
                              I keep meaning to look for a full car cover for my MK2 astra gte
                              I'll ask my Nan to knit you one Steve, she likes a challenge

As a styling exercise I don't like them, but from a practical point of view they do work and if fitted right, on the right car with the right colour, they look fine IMO. The decent ones like Autobra are lined, so there is no issue with marking on waxed paint and they dry out quickly from the heat under the bonnet after the rain, I think the lower seam isn't sealed, to allow water to drain through too.

With regards to full cover ones, they look naff as hell in my opinion, and stone chips on a plastic bumper can't turn to rust as easily as ones on a bonnet. You're advised with the fitting instructions to remove them once a week to check for any grit and clean out any dirt, but all you do is hose anything out and leave it over the washing line for half an hour to dry out a bit.

I wouldn't leave on one at a show though, I think the euro look is done to death on other marques. I've seen quite a few cars up around here using them now, as the roads are bloody terrible

Comment

Working...
                              X