Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you get Smoothrite off a block paved drive.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you get Smoothrite off a block paved drive.

What a numpty --- yesterday i decided at long last to do my calipers and suspension in Smoothrite (been promising to do it for last 12 months) and everything was going ok until the heavens opened as i was just about finishing the last caliper.
    Went in the house to shelter from the downpour and boy did it rain, but in my rush to stay dry i had left a open tin of red paint under the wheel arch sitting on a peice of cardboard to protect the drive from any paint splashes -- needn't have bothered, as well as the rain a strong wind shortly followed and lifted the cardboard with the paint tin on it depositing the contents on my block paved drive --- what a mess.
    Problem is now how to get it off, i wiped as much off as i could but now iv'e got a patch of red blocks. Drive cleaner wont shift it, paint thinners wont shift it, so maybe i will have to get down to my local bodyshop a "borrow" some paint remover ---- any idea's on what i should try.

Kath still thinks i'm lovely because she said i was a "bonny bugger".

Get a good wire brush and hope it hasn't soaked in to much other than that it's new blocks witch are a right t##t to get out

Comment

Nitromors will do the trick. Buy the green can, water washable so you can hose down with cold water and washing up liquid once you've finished.

Brush onto offending blocks. Don't be shy with it. Leave to do its work and then hose down. Clean with water and fairy liquid then hose down again.

My dad was the technical manager for Nitromors many years ago un
      til he retired. 42 years then they got bought out by a German company called Henkel.

He's even got all the original formulas!!

Comment

using a a couple of trowls lift offending blocks, wash the bottoms and turn over! simples!!!!!

Comment

I like your lateral thinking there Mr. Chambers!!

Comment

might be worth trying brick acid,most builders merchants sell it

Comment

Most of the paint I have spilt in the backyard seems to come off with a good work over using a pressure washer. If you use the Nitromors first, then hit it with a pressure washer, I reckon it will be sorted OK.

Failing that, you can get a sandblaster gun if you have an air compressor (or a mate to borrow one off), cheaper than a new driveway

Comment

Just watch what you are doing with Nitromors it might take the die out of the block test on a patch witch you cant see first

Comment

You could always get another tin red paint and do the whole driveway?

Comment

Might of known you would come up with an answer like that

Comment

Could paint a nice griffin on the driveway....then youd be a true enthusiast
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Supercharger View Post
                        I like your lateral thinking there Mr. Chambers!!
                        cheers I do try!

Comment

Taken from:
                          http://www.bradstone.com/garden/advice/patio_care.aspx

PAINT / WOODSTAIN / VARNISH – Wet Stain - soak up the spillage with an absorbent cloth or paper towels. Do not wipe. For paint – the stained area should be immediately scrubbed with scouring powder and water. For woodstain/varnish – the stained area should be immediately scrubbed with detergent and water. Paint removers or solvents should not be used on stains that are less than a week old, as this will increase penetration into the concrete. Dried Stain - scrape off as far as possible. Apply an appropriate proprietary paint remover, preferably one supplied as a thick gel. Follow the manufacturer’s instructions or contact the paint manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                          X