Did my first track day yesterday with VXR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did my first track day yesterday with VXR

It was the based at the Thruxton circuit and well worth it.

Started off the afternoon with some messing around with a Corsa Sri, an Insignia Sri turbo and a pit lane type wheel change just to relax us all and then it was onto the track session. We had the choice of Corsa VXRs (incl one Artic), Astra VXRs, Zafira VXRs, Insignia VXR, and VXR8s.

I made the mistake of starting of starting with the Insignia as my first car and given that it was my first experience on any track, let alone this one, meant that i found myself not going as fast as i should have done in that car over the three laps.

Next up a VXR8 with Tom Onslow-cole as the instructor - i managed to improve but again not as well as i hoped.

Next a Corsa VXR - now things shaped and boy did that car shift. Even managed to get my racing lines and braking points much more where they should be so that the overall speed and performance was better. Also the instructor was better in his advice.

Next a Zafira VXR - funnily enough i found this one stunning given the size of the thing. The instructor with this one was spot on and i found myself completely at ease and harassing a few cars out of the way rather than being harrassed. Deffo consider replacing the Wife's Zaf Gsi for one of these.

Took a short break to be driven around the track by Andrew Jordan in one of the new Astra VXR Racing editions. Words fail me about how fast and on the edge he drove. Given that it was a road car it handled the thrashing he was giving it without any fuss. Real talent there for the future.

Finally i thought it would be good to see how my experince during the afternoon had improved so it was back to the VXR8 and Mr Onslow-Cole and yes, my handling etc was much much better than the first time round to the point that even Mr O-C was complimentary.

Given what i learnt yesterday, i'm glad i did not take the Zafira round the Ring last year as i clearly would not have been ready. Now bring it on!

Had also taken my nephew along as a 21st birthday treat and he enjoyed it too. With typical exubarance of the youth of today he came away wanting to know how much a VXR8 would cost to buy and insure. Hopefully i've instilled in him a dose of Vxl blood so he does not go Jap.
    Aka Forever Smitten, MSD0025
    Vectra Supertouring 200 #25
    Astra Nurburgring #69

nice one. vxr corsa shock a few peeps

Comment

Good stuff Berley....not taking the REAL touring car on the track then??
      sigpic

Comment

Good stuff mate

I gotta sign up for one of these next time round

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Good stuff Berley....not taking the REAL touring car on the track then??
          Now that i have a better "comfort zone" for the racing line, i might do....

....after i've sourced a new set of front discs.
          Astra Nurburgring #69

Comment

Originally posted by Berley View Post
            It was the based at the Thruxton circuit and well worth it.

Started off the afternoon with some messing around with a Corsa Sri, an Insignia Sri turbo and a pit lane type wheel change just to relax us all and then it was onto the track session. We had the choice of Corsa VXRs (incl one Artic), Astra VXRs, Zafira VXRs, Insignia VXR, and VXR8s.

I made the mistake of starting of starting with the Insignia as my first car and given that it was my first experience on any track, let alone this one, meant that i found myself not going as fast as i should have done in that car over the three laps.

Next up a VXR8 with Tom Onslow-cole as the instructor - i managed to improve but again not as well as i hoped.

Next a Corsa VXR - now things shaped and boy did that car shift. Even managed to get my racing lines and braking points much more where they should be so that the overall speed and performance was better. Also the instructor was better in his advice.

Next a Zafira VXR - funnily enough i found this one stunning given the size of the thing. The instructor with this one was spot on and i found myself completely at ease and harassing a few cars out of the way rather than being harrassed. Deffo consider replacing the Wife's Zaf Gsi for one of these.

Took a short break to be driven around the track by Andrew Jordan in one of the new Astra VXR Racing editions. Words fail me about how fast and on the edge he drove. Given that it was a road car it handled the thrashing he was giving it without any fuss. Real talent there for the future.

Finally i thought it would be good to see how my experince during the afternoon had improved so it was back to the VXR8 and Mr Onslow-Cole and yes, my handling etc was much much better than the first time round to the point that even Mr O-C was complimentary.

Given what i learnt yesterday, i'm glad i did not take the Zafira round the Ring last year as i clearly would not have been ready. Now bring it on!

Had also taken my nephew along as a 21st birthday treat and he enjoyed it too. With typical exubarance of the youth of today he came away wanting to know how much a VXR8 would cost to buy and insure. Hopefully i've instilled in him a dose of Vxl blood so he does not go Jap.

So where are the pictures then? What was the Insignia like to drive, is it as good as all the hype?

Comment

Sadly no pictures .... was too busy enjoying myself to be bothered with pics. Bit like a kid in a toyshop

The Insiginia was a nice enough car, smooth yet powerful. I had wanted to go back and try it again at the end but with ten minutes to go to the end of the session and two other people waiting ahead of me for the Insignias i chose the VXR8.

They had a Insignia VXR Tourer on display (in LHD) which looked awesome. It really looked like it would give any Audi, BMW or MERC equivalent a run for their money.
              Astra Nurburgring #69

Comment

Working...
              X