Breakdown cover, who do I go with?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breakdown cover, who do I go with?

I've been using the old club discount that Adrian Flux use to offer but they no longer do it so I'm in the market for breakdown cover. We have a number of cars as some of you know so I’m after partner (person not a specific car) cover, don’t need home start, something that’ll just tow me home and must cover cars older than 10 year as the mk2 SRi is now 20 and still just below covering 50K.

Who is best and what discount do we get though the VXdc?
    Find out more about the Derbyshire region by clicking here. My fleet diaries; Astra E, Astra F, Vectra B & Vectra C

Harvey, i have cover with the RAC to cover any car that i am in, driving or as a passenger and the other half has the same, its about £100/year.

I believe we get discont with them too
    sigpic

Comment

Just found out we get 15% discount with the AA, it's in the benefits area. Not sure about RAC discount though.

What are peoples experiences with RAC/AA?
      Find out more about the Derbyshire region by clicking here. My fleet diaries; Astra E, Astra F, Vectra B & Vectra C

Comment

Well, thats kinda spooky....just got my AA renewal through. I've been a member for 5 yrs, and had the good fortune never to use them. My Disco is covered by LandRover Assist for 3yrs, so no worries there, but I like the joint membership anyway....would hate to break down when at Billing etc then have to worry about getting home, anyway, I digress....

This years came in at £133.50....not cheap as Andy-G just got his renewed with the same joint cover for £100!!
        So being slightly peeved, I fired off an email and got a reply with their dedicated renewal hotline. Just out of sheer curiosity, I checked RACs equivalent and it came in at £96.25.

The phone call to AA was very short, but fruitful...
        AA "so are you thinking of leaving...can I ask why?"
        Me " yes you are too expensive, RAC is £96.25 for same cover"
        AA "Ok sir, I can do it for £95.50, will you continue your membership?"
        Me " Yes, thats fine"

And that was it, about 30-40 seconds and a saving of nearly 40 bucks.....no haggling, etc etc.

Just goes to show that the last 3 yrs I paid full whack, if I'd have queried it then I'd have paid a year for free!!
        sigpic

Comment

I'm with the AA and never had any problems with them, I have option 300 and the same as Scott, when It came to renewal time I also had a bit of a haggle with them as they were doing the same cover for new members at a discounted price, so got the cover for the same price as a new member

Comment

As for experiences, our works vans are AA covered for breakdowns, so we know the local guys quite well, a few of them are VAG and RS nuts, so the banter is always good when they come to my house/shed when the van gives up. Their response times are generally quite good considering that its normally first call (their busiest time) and most of the time they find the fault without me telling them....although thy did waste an hour trying to tow/jump my old van when the fuse for the fuel cut out solenoid had went after a small engine fire
            sigpic

Comment

I have had AA joint cover (Me & Mrs) for several years now plus i had a warranty for the ST200 through them. Also have AA via my bank account.

Never had any problems with them when i've called them out.
              Aka Forever Smitten, MSD0025
              Vectra Supertouring 200 #25
              Astra Nurburgring #69

Comment

Oh and don't forget ... they will even come and pick up your car in the middle of a major car show right in front of your employers and your employers rivals if ask them nicely
                Aka Forever Smitten, MSD0025
                Vectra Supertouring 200 #25
                Astra Nurburgring #69

Comment

Yep - we have the discount with the AA through the club. The RAC weren't interested at the time I set it up around 7 years ago.

Sometimes breakdown cover via your bank account (if it's available) can be quite comprehensive and cost effective - only thing is you usually get lots of other stuff in the benefits bundle you might not need such as mobile phone insurance, travel insurance, etc.

As others have said - it's definitely worth shopping around and playing the providers off against one another.

When the manufacturers warranty and AA cover expired in November on Helen's Vectra Estate when it was 3 years old, the AA wrote to her and offered a special deal to continue the AA cover. We got joint cover for me as well (any car) including relay and home start for £45 for the year! I doubt I'll get it that cheap when it's up for renewal in November but you never know..............

Comment

I've been with the RAC for years, I was on my Dads policy when I was younger, as my cars were always breaking down and he didn't appreciate being phoned at 3am for a tow home

When I got my own cover, RAC offered to start my discount at the same level as my Dad was getting, so it made sense to stay with them. That was some years ago though, will need to wait for a renewal to see how competitive it stacks up against others

Comment

Originally posted by Nforcer View Post
                      Sometimes breakdown cover via your bank account (if it's available) can be quite comprehensive and cost effective
                      Looked into this as HSBC Premium account offers it but it doesn't cover cars over 10 years old so no good for Amanda and I. Think I'll call the AA and see if they can match the RAC cover, will update with my findings. Thanks for all the feedback with this peeps.

Comment

After a bit of thinking I decided to go with the AA cover. Tried to screw them down but they wouldn't bundge on the online price of £100.12. They did the normal sales pitch 'we have more vehicles and better coverage then the others blar blar blar..' 'when's your insurance due for car/house blar blar blar' told them to shut up and deal with the break down cover I was requesting and not to use my details for any marketing etc.

Anyway I'm happy now and hopefully I won't ever need to call but for piece of mind at least we're now properly covered.

Comment

I Changed to the AA this year after being with the RAC for over 17 years as they kept pushing up their renewal each year despite having a no call out discount . Last time i used them was in 1998!!!!
                          Last November they wanted £118. AA did me full cover on the Vectra for £77 has Vauxhall has a special discount for us so went for that.
                          sigpic Cheshire & North Wales Region. Home of A&M Conversions

Comment

At the moment i have my breakdown cover through Saga insurance which on the last renewal was £70 for the all singing and dancing cover and this included as well as full recovery a helpfull extra for us old codgers, this being that if i am taken ill away from home. anyone over the age of 25 years who is a passenger can drive my car home on fully comp insurance,but if i have no passengers who can drive the insurance company will provide a chauffer.

Now thats good value for seventy squids.

Comment

insurance company will provide a chauffer.
                              You better watch he's not younger than you or Kath'll be off

Comment

Working...
                              X