on a vauxhall forecourt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• on a vauxhall forecourt

this was on the astra mk2 owners site, spotted on a vauxhall dealers forecourt to promote the 2k scheme

Bloody shame as theres so few of the Saloons left, especialy the SRi

Local dealer got a 1995 Mk3 Astra Sport 5 door hatch 1.6-16v in yesterday, one owner & only 60k on the clock. No rust & interior mint, full history ect, just needs a polish as its pineapple yellow.

Being scrapped under the 2k scheme, bit of work & it would be a minter
    sigpic Cheshire & North Wales Region. Home of A&M Conversions

Comment

That's criminal it's the same colour as mine was

Comment

I know Rob, tried to save it as it had no rust at all & the interior was like new, 100% original. Its going this week sometime
        I used to have a Red 5 door sport on a N plate same as this
        sigpic Cheshire & North Wales Region. Home of A&M Conversions

Comment

Makes me angry all this, set of SRi 130 rims on that too with probably decent tyres on them!

Comment

Can anyone clarify this?

Are all cars going into the £2K scheme getting cubed as is, or can they go to breakers to be dismantled? If they're being cubed, that's a travesty, but it would be nice to think the breakers yards are gonna become a goldmine of parts for the lunatic fringe (according to some people) who want to keep the old cars on the road

Comment

Was just thinking along those lines too Steve, but on a slightly different angle.

I assume that the dealer will be claiming the scrappage allowance by sending them to a breakers.....but is the payment only given when DVLA receive a scrap notification (yellow bit I think...may be red) of the V5c.
              What I'm getting at is whether enthusiast like us could buy the "scrap" from the dismantler before it gets squished....would this stop the payments?

Not that I care whether the dealer gets its pound of flesh, just saving some perfectly decent or rare vehicles from the scrapyard in the sky
              sigpic

Comment

My workmate was up at Devlins and he said that the car CANNOT be sold on to go back on the road if it is a Scrappage car. They had a mint 40K mile CDX in with full leather and full set of stamps in the book a few weeks back. My mate knows Barry and they were talking about it, he was told that they had to scrap it with nearly a years MOT left on it to fulfill the requirements.

I don't go up to Devlins because they dismantle their cars and put the parts on the shelf, so they won't let you loose with the spanners, hence you pay through the nose for bits, so I don't know what happened to the CDX.

Comment

I think half of this idea is to boost car sales and half is to get uneconomical cars off the road so they will have to be scrapped from what i understand. So they will never see the road again unless you saved it and got it a new identity!!!

Its not right anyway, whats more harmfull to the enviroment, keeping a car that already exists running with a few parts or building a new one in a factory

Comment

Thats pants
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bendy View Post
                      I think half of this idea is to boost car sales and half is to get uneconomical cars off the road so they will have to be scrapped from what i understand. So they will never see the road again unless you saved it and got it a new identity!!!

Its not right anyway, whats more harmfull to the enviroment, keeping a car that already exists running with a few parts or building a new one in a factory
                      Friends of the Earth were in the news the other week slating the Scrappage scheme, as a ten year old car with average mileage that is now eligible for the scheme has not even paid back its carbon footprint from manufacture, never mind the miles it has put in being driven. Their argument is that cars should be made future proof, ie the engines should be capable of bringing up to the latest emissions standards to allow them to stay on the road and reduce their current carbon output.

The likes of Billy and Andy's Corsa B are actually more enviromentally friendly than when they left the factory, if that isn't an excuse to modify a car, I don't know what is!! Most modifiers fit later spec engines into their cars with better engine management, so we should all be getting medals and knighthoods for modifying cars, rather than insurance premium hikes and hassle off the DVLA and the Police

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Friends of the Earth were in the news the other week slating the Scrappage scheme, as a ten year old car with average mileage that is now eligible for the scheme has not even paid back its carbon footprint from manufacture, never mind the miles it has put in being driven. Their argument is that cars should be made future proof, ie the engines should be capable of bringing up to the latest emissions standards to allow them to stay on the road and reduce their current carbon output.

The likes of Billy and Andy's Corsa B are actually more enviromentally friendly than when they left the factory, if that isn't an excuse to modify a car, I don't know what is!! Most modifiers fit later spec engines into their cars with better engine management, so we should all be getting medals and knighthoods for modifying cars, rather than insurance premium hikes and hassle off the DVLA and the Police

AMEN to that brother!

You should see the MPG my old manta returns, modern(ish) engine in an old light car! Im sure its doing less harm than most things on the road in more ways than one!

Comment

My Vectra is using the same amount of fuel a week as the Corsa was, and I think that is down to the lazy gearing of the F23 and the extra torque getting through the gears faster.

This is the nail in the coffin for Mr Brown:

http://www.topgear.com/us/videos/more/thirsty-prius/

Comment

Its the way the old cars will go. R.I.P to many decent motoer

Comment

yep is a crying shame.we have had some nice motors in at work under the scrappage scheme.

we had a really nice standard corsa gsi that was brought in under the scheme.the cars are collected by vauxhall then scrapped.that is the only way they will pay thier £1k of the scheme.

thing is you could have a really nice car but realistically s/hand will be worth about 1k so people bring them in and get 2k.

we are selling quite a few cars at the moment so something must be working
                              no longer working for vaux parts.wahoo!!

Comment

Working...
                              X