Go Back   Vauxhall Drivers' Club > Welcome > News > Vauxhall News

Old 6th March 2017, 07:07 AM   #1
Vauxhall Drivers' Club
Administrator

Post Opel/Vauxhall to join PSA Group

Detroit and Paris, 6 March 2017 ‚?? General Motors Co. (NYSE:GM) and PSA Group (Paris:UG) today announced an agreement under which GM‚??s Opel/Vauxhall subsidiary and GM Financial‚??s European operations will join the PSA Group in a transaction valuing these activities at ‚?¨1.3 Bn and ‚?¨0.9 Bn, respectively...

More...
Old 6th March 2017, 01:15 PM   #2
Thumper
Benefits Coordinator

oh bugger.
Old 6th March 2017, 06:25 PM   #3
Vectra-Arctic

Not good at all, dammed if I'm stick a Pug badge on my cars. Damm Frogs
Old 7th March 2017, 09:13 AM   #4
sean_dhc1
Cheshire & North Wales RO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectra-Arctic View Post
Not good at all, dammed if I'm stick a Pug badge on my cars. Damm Frogs
I wish all i & my fellow Vauxhall workers had to worry about was a Pug badge, really helps all the negative comments on here & other forums.

BMW own Mini & RR, VW own Skoda & they still sell. Vauxhall will still be Vauxhall no mater who owns the company.
Most of our Vauxhalls we drive are built in Europe anyway such as Corsa, Insignia, VXR's etc.

Too many Barstool Bulls~~~~rs who are quick to react to media & so called experts on TV & take that as solid gen plus the I wont buy a new Vauxhall now brigade
Old 7th March 2017, 03:47 PM   #5
andrea

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_dhc1 View Post
I wish all i & my fellow Vauxhall workers had to worry about was a Pug badge, really helps all the negative comments on here & other forums.

BMW own Mini & RR, VW own Skoda & they still sell. Vauxhall will still be Vauxhall no mater who owns the company.
Most of our Vauxhalls we drive are built in Europe anyway such as Corsa, Insignia, VXR's etc.

Too many Barstool Bulls~~~~rs who are quick to react to media & so called experts on TV & take that as solid gen plus the I wont buy a new Vauxhall now brigade
We both know how you feel Sean and our thoughts are with you and everyone at Ellesmere Port and Luton. It's a horrible situation to be in as no one can predict what will happen. Luckily we were ok through all of the ups and downs at Honda so hopefully you all will be as well. The waiting game is the most horrible thing invented. Thinking of both Jo and yourself x
andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 05:05 PM   #6
Vectra-Arctic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_dhc1 View Post

Thanks Sean, really appreciate the swipe and I'm not a Barstool ***

Perhaps looking at the reality is that Ellesmere Port only has the Astra contract until 2020 and Luton with the Vivaro until 2025 which I am sure that you know without me reminding you. However history in the UK Car market over the past 25 years or so has always been touch and go and as I have already mentioned PSA said the same things maintaining UK production at Chrysler UK when they took them over, first Linwood was closed down and then PSA moved 206 production to Ryton and then moved that away to Slovakia because of being able to cut overheads and grants from Slovakia to build cars there. It has always been a fact that out of German, French and UK factories it is easier to lay off or shutdown plants because of the UK's weak Labour protection laws and spineless UK Goverments. So out of the three countries I see the axe falling this way (I don't want that but economic realities will single the UK out) in a few years. Opel has in the last few years closed Antwerp and Bochum because of European overcapacity and PSA admitted last year the they have too many plants (Peugeot, Citroen and Simca plants) but are virtually unable to close them due to French Labour laws and Unions, so as I said, the UK will be first in line unless the EP and Luton plants agree to much lower manufacturing costs. Then who knows what Brexit will bring with the UK out of the EU but I and no-one else knows that story. In short, time will tell ...

I really do feel for all VX workers.

Last edited by Vectra-Arctic; 7th March 2017 at 10:40 PM.
Vectra-Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 07:04 PM   #7
sean_dhc1
Cheshire & North Wales RO

I never called you a Barstoolbullshiter nor was the swipe aimed at you Dave, i quoted the use of a pug badge thank you.

However it was aimed at people who belive all they read in the media or see on TV from the so called experts in the "Motor Industry" whom this will have no effect on their livelyhood or future job security

All we have heard is its the end of Vauxhall UK & so called Vauxhall enthusiasts who will never buy a Vauxhall again now

All of us at Ellesmere know we have this Astra until 2021 & in the meantime have to bid for the next car as we always do.

Do people remember when GM bought Vauxhall in the late 50's?, how many car manufactors of late have been taken over & have got better, quite a few.

Im sorry but feeling negative is all we see everywere at the moment
Old 7th March 2017, 07:40 PM   #8
VXT

Well said Sean you are right in the heart of it mate you been there for over 30 years you been though all the changes and all the bad times at the factory mate and it still open
VXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 08:16 PM   #9
ANDY-G
Ayrshire R.O.

The future can only tell the truth of what will happen, maybe a good thing maybe a bad thing, no one knows!
ANDY-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2017, 09:37 PM   #10
frederick_white

Sean, I agree with you 100% what you are saying. I used to work at Vauxhall at Luton I know what it's like everything is doom and gloom. Look at the thread that was put up about Market Harborough, things will turn out for the best. We are here for Vauxhall, everyone be positive because it's a good brand.
frederick_white is offline   Reply With Quote